Know Your Milk Cafe
The Breville Milk Café™ BMF600XL — the milk frother that uses induction heating and spinning to make those small bubbles for the best creamy milk and hot chocolate.
|A. Measuring Cup – for measuring and adding ingredients once mixing has started.||B. Jug Lid – with Breville Assist™ Ring-Pull removal.|
|C. Dishwasher Safe Milk Jug – stainless steel jug with inner measurement markings and pouring spout.||D. Power Base – induction heating technology provides gentle, even heat distribution.|
|E. START/STOP Push-Dial – press the center of the dial to start or stop operation. Turn the dial to adjust the temperature. ‘COLD STIR’ setting stirs without heating.||F. LED Indicator – button surround illuminates when power is on; flashes when frothing cycle is activated; or will cease to illuminate when in standby mode.|
|G. Cord Wrap.||H. ‘On Board’ Disc Storage.|
|I. ‘Cappuccino’ Frothing Disc – for thigh and creamy froth.||J. ‘Latte’ Frothing Disc – for smooth and silky milk.|
The Milk Café comes with several special features.
- ‘Cold Stir’ – The ‘Cold Stir’ setting allows you to stir already cold or hot milk without any additional heat. This is allows the frothing of milk for beverages such as iced cappuccinos, blending in flavors for iced chocolate or mocha; or to stir in dissolvable instant drinking powders into milk or water.
- Variable Temperature Settings – the Milk Café™ allows the choice of the temperature milk is heated to. The optimal range is between 130°F and 150°F. 140°F makes wonderful hot beverages but if a particular about the temperature of the froth or milk is desired for, say, a latté or cappuccino, that temperature can be chose and the milk heated to personal preference.
- Overheating Protection/Boil Dry Protection – The Milk Café™ will automatically cease operation if the milk jug overheats. This can be caused if the milk jug is empty, if the liquid is below the MIN measurement marking, or after consecutive uses. Unplug the power cord and wait approximately 5 minutes for the frother to cool down or fill milk jug with water for faster cooling. Once adequately cooled, the machine will be able to be reactivated and frothing can proceed again.
Set up of the Milk Café™ is quick and easy.
- Place the milk frother on a flat level surface and plug the cord into a wall outlet. The START/STOP button surround should illuminate.
- Select the disc preferred frothing disc. Inside the milk jug, slide the disc onto the shaft at the base of the jug, making sure the wide end is down first and pressing firmly until the disc “clicks” into place.
- Pour in the required amount of cold, fresh (or freshly opened) milk into the milk jug and cover with the jug lid and inner lid.
- Place the jug onto the power base, making sure that the jug is sitting flat.
- Turn the START/STOP push-dial to the desired temperature.
Before First Use
Before You Froth
- Before first use, remove and safely discard all promotional labels and packing materials attached to the Breville Milk Café™.
- Wash the milk jug, lid and measuring cap in warm soapy water then rinse and dry thoroughly. Wipe the exterior of the power base with a soft damp cloth then dry thoroughly.
All Breville® products have at least a one-year limited product warranty, valid from the date of purchase. Should your Breville® product have a defect in product material or workmanship within the Warranty period, Breville® will arrange to have your original product returned to us, and either deliver an identical or comparable replacement to you, free of charge, or apply such other remedy as described below. Some models may have longer warranty periods on the product or specific components so please consult the individual product warranty for complete terms and conditions.
DO NOT RETURN PRODUCT TO THE STORE*
Please follow these instructions, subject to the terms of the Warranty, to receive faster service:
1. Write down the product model number, batch code (this is a 3 or 4 digit number) and/or serial number. These can be found on a sticker or molded into the product housing and are typically located underneath or on the back of the product
2. Have the original or a copy of the sales receipt.
3. Contact Breville®. Please see Breville® USA contact information below.
4. If the product, or one of its parts, qualifies for replacement or service under the Warranty, Breville® will send a pre-paid shipping label via email so that the product may be sent to Breville® at no cost to you. Upon receipt of the product, Breville® may ship the replacement or contact you with further information regarding repair of the product. Typical turnaround time to address Warranty claims is up to 10 business days, plus shipping, depending on your geographical location and type of damage or Warranty claim.
5. For additional protection of the product and and to ensure secure handling while a product is being returned for any Warranty repair, Breville® recommends that you use Breville’s shipping label or a traceable, insured delivery service. Breville® is not responsible for any damage while a product is in transit.
For the complete terms of warranty, see the warranty PDF:
One-Year Limited Product Warranty.pdf
* California residents – please see paragraph entitled “Warranty Notice to California Residents Only” on page 4.
Breville® USA Contact Information
8am to 5pm (Pacific Time) Monday through Friday, excluding holidays
Head Office Address:
19400 S. Western Ave
Torrance, CA 90501
(Please do not return product to this address without speaking to Breville® and obtaining a Return Authority number.)
Care and Use
Use of the Milk Café™
- If a disc is not inserted correctly over the shaft in the milk jug, it may dislodge during operation, a grinding noise may be heard or milk will not swirl. Operating the milk frother without a disc inserted can cause uneven heating and burning.
- After 30 seconds of non-use, the milk frother will enter standby mode. The START/STOP button surround will cease to illuminate. To exit the standby mode and reactivate the frother, simply turn or press the START/STROP push-dial.
- Never operate without the minimum level of liquid in the milk jug. This can cause overheating and may kick in the Overheating/Boil Dry protection causing the frother to cease operating until the temperature of the jug cools to an acceptable level. Also, never exceed the CAPP/LATTE MAX. When frothing, the milk will increase in volume and exceeding this line can cause the jug to overflow.
- When frothing multiple batches of liquid, to prevent the Overheating/Boil Dry Protection from activating, it is recommended that the milk jug be allowed to cool for approximately 5 minutes between batches or fill the jug with water for faster cooling. For best results, clean the milk jug and frothing disc before re-use.
- After frothing the first batch of milk, you may notice the power base begin to hum. This is normal. It is the cooling fan preventing the frother from overheating and will automatically cease to hum once adequately cooled. During the time the fan is on, the milk frother can continue to be used unless the Overheating/Boil Dry protection has been activating.
- The frother is not designed to mix large amounts of dry ingredients, melt large food pieces like cubed chocolate or ice cubes, or to whip, thicken or heat other food substances like oil, eggs, butter, soups or gravies.
Ensuring trouble-free operation for years
Your Breville Milk Café is a quality appliance. The best materials were used in making it, and it was carefully engineered to let you enjoy your Milk Café for years to come.
However, as with any machine, it needs your care in order to operate as it is intended to. Please follow our care tips below.
How to froth milk
Once you’ve learned these steps, you can create rich hot chocolates or smooth lattes or cappuccinos.
Frothing Hot Milk
Frothing results differ depending on the ingredients used. Experiment with different milk options, ingredients and frothing discs to achieve the desired result.
- Pour the required amount of cold, fresh (or freshly opened) milk into the milk jug then cover with the jug lid.
Always use cold milk and fill the milk jug between the MIN and MAX level markings. Overfilling may result in spillage, while under-filling prevents the frothing disc from working optimally.
See the Milk Frothing Chart below.
- Ensure jug lid is securely attached and the outside of the milk jug is clean and dry before placing onto the power base.
- Turn the START | STOP push-dial to the desired temperature. When frothing milk for a cappuccino or latte, we recommend staying within the ‘OPTIMUM MILK TEMP’ range, however this is up to your personal preference. If the temperature setting is changed during operation, the milk frother will stop at the new temperature selected. The exception is if a lower temperature is selected mid-cycle and the milk has already exceeded the lower temperature. In this case, the milk frother will immediately stop.
- Press the center of the START | STOP push-dial to commence frothing. The button surround will flash throughout the duration of the frothing cycle. There will be no movement inside the milk jug for a few seconds due to the soft start delay, then milk will slowly start to swirl.
- When the milk has reached the selected temperature, the milk frother will automatically stop and the ‘ready’ alert will sound. This will take anywhere between 2-7 minutes depending on the quantity of milk used. Carefully remove the milk jug from the power base as the milk jug and contents will be hot.
- Be careful not to place the milk jug on a table cloth, plastic surface, or heat-sensitive surface which may scorch or melt. Remove the jug lid, pour and/or spoon out the frothed milk.
- Clean the milk jug and frothing disc immediately after use.
Cold Stir Setting
The ‘Cold Stir’ setting allows you to stir already cold or hot milk without additional heat.
- Froth milk for cold beverages such as an iced cappuccino
- Blend in syrups and flavorings for an iced chocolate or mocha
- Stir in dissolvable instant drinking powders into milk or water
The ‘Cold Stir’ setting will operate for 60 seconds before automatically stopping. You can re-select the ‘Cold Stir’ setting if desired.
|Use Fresh||Always use cold, fresh (or freshly opened) milk.|
|Explore||Some milks and milk brands produce more froth than others. For example, we have found that some soy milks produce very airy froth, while others do not. Experiment with different milk options and frothing discs to achieve the desired result.|
|Measure||For optimum froth, do not exceed the CAPP/LATTE MAX (16 fl.oz, 500ml) measurement marking inside the milk jug.|
|Wait to Add||Always allow the milk frother to start for a few seconds before using the measuring cap to gradually add ingredients. This will allow the milk to warm up and help dissolve the additional ingredients.|
|Tap||Remove excess air bubbles from frothed milk by gently tapping the milk jug on a bench.|
|Swirl||Swirl frothed milk in a circular motion before pouring milk into a cup or glass.|
|Pour Promptly||Pour frothed milk promptly to avoid the milk from separating. Frothed milk that is not used immediately should not be reheated.|
|Clean Up||Ensure the milk jug and frothing disc are clean before use.|
As a general guide, the chart below shows some suggested milks, ingredients and uses for the milk frother.
|S U I T A B L E L I Q U I D S|
low fat, skim
& low fat
low fat, skim
& low fat
|S U I T A B L E I N G R E D I E N T S|
|R E C I P E S|
For optimum results, there are different measurement markings within the milk jug. The chart below shows the approximate number of cups produced at each of the measurement markings. This is a guide only as the frothing disc selected and the type of milk, for example whole milk (vitamin D), 2%, 1%, fat-free, half-and-half etc., can create different amounts of froth.
|JUG MARKING||FROTHING DISC||MAKES APPROXIMATELY|
|HOT CHOC MAX
25 fl.oz (750ml)
|CAPP / LATTE MAX
16 fl.oz (500ml)
|Cappuccino OR Latte||2-3 cappuccinos|
|8 fl.oz (250ml)||Cappuccino OR Latte||1-2 cappuccinos|
|MIN||Cappuccino OR Latte||1 cappuccino|
The frothing discs that come with the Milk Café™ are ribbed discs surrounding a center tube that fits over the spindle in the bottom of the milk frothing jug. One end of this tube is closed off to ensure that the disc is placed on the spindle correctly. However, there can be issued with the disc that can cause poor results in the frothing of milk.
- Ensure that the frothing disc is securely pressed onto the spindle in the center of the frothing jug. It will click firmly and noticeably into place. If the disc is not securely attached or becomes dislodged, the following may be observed:
- No swirling of the milk or the milk not moving.
- A smell of burnt milk.
- A grinding noise.
To counteract this, remove the liquid from the frothing jug, rinse the jug out, remove the disc and reinsert it on the spindle, pushing down firmly until it clicks securely into place. Fresh milk should be added back to the jug as milk that’s already been heated will not froth very well.
There can be several reasons that the Milk Café™ is having issues creating foam in milk even though it is heating it.
- If the milk is too warm, the Milk Café™ will not be able to foam it.
- Do not re-foam milk that’s already been heated. Cold milk forms foam significantly better then warm milk does.
- Always use cold, fresh (or freshly opened) milk.
- Make sure that the amount of milk is between the MIN/MAX lines on the inside of the frothing jug. If it does but the foam is still not occurring, try reducing the amount of milk in the jug.
- Check any added in ingredients. Thick syrups, heavy powders and large flakes can significantly reduce the amount of foam that is produced.
- Different brands of milk can froth differently. This is not entirely dependent on the type of milk (Non-Fat as opposed to Whole Milk) but can truly be different from brand to brand so try some experimenting.
Occasionally your milk frother will sound out three beeps and will not turn on to heat and froth your milk.