Know Your Tea Maker
The Tea Maker™ — fully programmable for all types of tea, water temperatures and brew times, eliminating the guesswork so you can enjoy a perfect cup of tea, every time.
|A. Jug Lid.||B. Stainless Steel Scale Filter.|
|C. Tea Basket Lid.||D. Stainless Steel Tea Basket.|
|E. Jug Post.||F. Glass Jug.|
|G. Immersed Temperature Sensor.||H.Tea Scoop.|
|I. Power Base.||J. Cord Storage.|
|K. AUTO START button.||L. KEEP WARM button.|
|M. BASKET button – continuously auto lifts and lowers the basket for steeping.||N. TEA TYPE button – for preset tea types and brew times and temps.|
|O. Variable Temperature Control – Overrides preset brew temperatures.||P. Backlit LCD.|
|Q. Variable Time Control – Overrides preset brew times.||R. TEA STRENGTH button – preset brew times recommended for strong, medium and mild brews.|
|S. HOT WATER/Cancel button – for use as a kettle.||T. TEA/Cancel button – activates the tea brewing cycle.|
The Breville Tea Maker™ comes with some special features.
- Customizable Brew Temperature – Though there are suggested and recommended brew temperatures programmed into the Tea Maker™ already, by pressing the up and down arrows to the right of the LCD screen, individual temperature adjustments can be made for personal preference.
- Customizable Brew Time – In addition to the preset brew times, the tea maker also features a customizable brew time setting to suit personal tastes. By pressing the up or down arrow to the left of the LCD screen, individual time adjustments can be made for personal preference.
- Auto Start Features – The Tea Maker™ comes with an Auto Start feature that allows you to set a clock for the current time and also a time for the tea maker to begin brewing automatically.
Setting up the Tea Maker™ is quick and easy.
- Place the base on a flat dry surface.
- Fill the jug with the appropriate amount of water for the beverage being brewed.
- Place the Jug on the base.
- Place the preferred tea into the Tea Basket.
- Place the Tea Basket Lid on top of the Tea Basket, sliding the ring holder though the middle of the lid and pressing the lid down until it clicks into place.
- Place the Tea Basket into the opening of the jug, fitting the U shaped opening at the back over the Jug Post slowly. The magnet will grab the basket and lower it slightly down from the top ridge of the post.
- Place the Jug Lid on top of the Jug ensuring that the mesh filter is placed at the spout.
Before First Use
- Remove all packaging materials, promotional materials and promotional labels and safely discard.
- Wash the Jug Lid, Tea Basket, Basket Lid, and Tea Scoop in warm soapy water with a soft sponge. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Without the Tea Basket in place, fill the glass jug to the Maximum Mark (1500mL WATER MAX), place on the base and attach the jug lid.
- Plug the base in and, using the left arrows, move the temperature up to 212°F.
- Press the HOT WATER/Cancel button to start the cycle.
- Once the water reaches the target temperature, the tea alert will sound three times and the HOT WATER/Cancel button surround will cease to illuminate.
- Discard the water and the Tea Maker™ is ready for use.
All Breville® products have at least a one-year limited product warranty, valid from the date of purchase. Should your Breville® product have a defect in product material or workmanship within the Warranty period, Breville® will arrange to have your original product returned to us, and either deliver an identical or comparable replacement to you, free of charge, or apply such other remedy as described below. Some models may have longer warranty periods on the product or specific components so please consult the individual product warranty for complete terms and conditions.
DO NOT RETURN PRODUCT TO THE STORE*
Please follow these instructions, subject to the terms of the Warranty, to receive faster service:
1. Write down the product model number, batch code (this is a 3 or 4 digit number) and/or serial number. These can be found on a sticker or molded into the product housing and are typically located underneath or on the back of the product
2. Have the original or a copy of the sales receipt.
3. Contact Breville®. Please see Breville® USA contact information below.
4. If the product, or one of its parts, qualifies for replacement or service under the Warranty, Breville® will send a pre-paid shipping label via email so that the product may be sent to Breville® at no cost to you. Upon receipt of the product, Breville® may ship the replacement or contact you with further information regarding repair of the product. Typical turnaround time to address Warranty claims is up to 10 business days, plus shipping, depending on your geographical location and type of damage or Warranty claim.
5. For additional protection of the product and and to ensure secure handling while a product is being returned for any Warranty repair, Breville® recommends that you use Breville’s shipping label or a traceable, insured delivery service. Breville® is not responsible for any damage while a product is in transit.
For the complete terms of warranty, see the warranty PDF:
One-Year Limited Product Warranty.pdf
* California residents – please see paragraph entitled “Warranty Notice to California Residents Only” on page 4.
Care and Use
- The ‘BREW TIME’ can be adjusted during the heating process but ‘BREW TEMP’ can not be changed once the heating cycle commences.
- If the Glass Jug is removed from the Power Base during the water heating cycle, the cycle will automatically cancel as a safety precaution.
- During the ‘Keep Warm’ cycle, brewed tea will continue to develop flavor. Depending on how long the brewed tea is intended to be kept warm, it may be advisable to reduce the initial tea strength/brew time.
- ‘Keep Warm’ will only maintain temperature during the 60 minute ‘Time Since Brew’ feature at the end of the ‘Tea’ or ‘Hot Water’ function.
- ‘Keep Warm’ feature will not activate and will not function if the water temperature is below 120°F.
- It is recommended that the ‘Basket Cycle’ feature be used only when making between 100mL (approximately 4 Cups/32 oz.) and 1200 mL(approximately 5 Cups/40 oz.) of tea.
- Brewed tea leaves make an ideal garden fertilizer and help condition the soil
- The Tea Maker™ is not calibrated for commercial or scientific use. Temperatures may vary, however will still be within range for optimal brewing of each variety.
- The Temperature for the kettle can be changed from Fahrenheit to Celsius by pressing and holding the TEA TYPE button and the TEA STRENGTH buttons down simultaneously for 2 seconds. The chosen temperature type displayed will remain on the LCD screen after the first brewing cycle displaying it is completely until it is changed back again.
Your Breville One-Touch Tea Maker is a quality appliance. The best materials were used in making it, and it was carefully engineered to let you enjoy perfectly brewed tea for years to come. However, as with any machine, it needs your care in order to operate as it is intended to. Please follow our care tips below.
Ensure the Tea Maker is turned OFF by pressing the TEA/Cancel button (when brewing tea) or the HOT WATER/Cancel button (when heating water) on the Power Base. The Tea Maker is OFF when the button surround illumination goes out. Remove the power plug from the wall outlet. Allow all parts of the Tea Maker to cool completely before disassembling and cleaning.
NOTE: Only the Jug Lid, Tea Basket, Tea Basket Lid, and Tea Scoop are dishwasher-safe.
CAUTION: NEVER IMMERSE THE BASE OF THE GLASS JUG, POWER BASE, POWER CORD, OR POWER PLUG IN WATER OR ALLOW MOISTURE TO COME IN CONTACT WITH THESE PARTS.
Cleaning the Jug Lid and integrated scale filter
|1.||Wash the Jug Lid in warm soapy water with a soft sponge, rinse and dry thoroughly. The integrated scale filter can be cleaned by placing under running hot water and rubbing with a cleaning cloth or brush.|
|2.||Alternatively, the Jug Lid is dishwasher safe. Position the Jug Lid vertically so the scale filter is facing upwards. This will allow water to drain properly.|
|3.||Let all surfaces dry thoroughly prior to using.|
Cleaning the Glass Jug
|1.||After each use, empty the Glass Jug. Do not allow brewed tea to stand overnight.|
|2.||Wipe the interior of the Glass Jug with a soft damp sponge or rinse with warm water.NOTE: Tea deposits will enhance the flavor of the brewed tea, so if only using as a Tea Maker do not wash with soapy water.|
|3.||Wipe the exterior of the Glass Jug with a soft damp cloth to clean.NEVER IMMERSE OR WASH EXTERIOR OF GLASS JUG UNDER RUNNING WATER.
NOTE: Do not use chemicals, steel wool, or abrasive cleaners to clean the inside or outside of the Glass Jug as these may scratch the surface.
|4.||To remove the buildup of tannin, the astringent chemical constituent of tea, fill the Glass Jug with water up to the water maximum mark (1500mL WATER MAX) and either:
|5.||Dry thoroughly with a soft, lint-free cloth before using.|
NOTE: Through regular use over time, scale buildup can affect the performance and the life of the Tea Maker. Lime and phosphate are common forms of scale that can damage your Tea Maker. Lime scale, a harmless mineral, appears as white-colored or rusty looking buildup on the inner walls and inner base of the Glass Jug. Phosphate scale can’t be seen, however, it can cause the water to appear cloudy when heated. To prevent scale from damaging your Tea Maker, ensure to descale the Glass Jug regularly. Use a commercial descaling agent and follow the instructions that come with the agent.
Cleaning the Tea Basket Lid, Tea Basket, and Tea Scoop
|1.||Wash the Tea Basket Lid, Tea Basket, and Tea Scoop in warm, soapy water with a soft sponge. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
A non-abrasive liquid cleanser or mild spray solution may be used to avoid buildup of stains. Apply the cleanser to the sponge, not the accessory surfaces, before cleaning.
|2.||Alternatively, these accessories are dishwasher-safe.|
|3.||Let all surfaces dry thoroughly prior to using.|
Cleaning the Power Base
|1.||Ensure the Tea Maker is unplugged.|
|2.||Wipe the Power Base with a soft damp sponge.|
|3.||Let all surfaces dry thoroughly prior to inserting the power plug into a wall outlet.|
Tea Guide and Tips
|Tea Type||Green Tea||White Tea||Oolong Tea||Herbal Tea||Black Tea|
|Preset Brew Temp.||175°F||185°F||195°F||212°F||212°F|
|Preset Brew Time||3:00||3:00||3:00||4:00||2:00|
The ‘Keep Warm’ Feature
This feature allows the brewed tea or heated water to remain warm for up to 60 minutes. The ‘Keep Warm’ temperature ranges between 160-175°F depending on the original brew temperature selected. The lower the brew temperature, the lower the ‘Keep Warm’ temperature.
|Original Brew Temp.||Approx. ‘Keep Warm’ Temp.|
|160°F – 180°F||160°F|
|190°F – 212°F||175°F|
NOTE: During the ‘Keep Warm’ cycle, brewed tea will continue to develop flavor. Depending on how long you intend to keep the brewed tea warm, you may consider reducing the initial tea strength or brew time.
|1.||Press the KEEP WARM button before, during or after completion of the tea brewing or water heating cycle. The button surround will illuminate, indicating the ‘Keep Warm’ feature has been selected.
NOTE: ‘Keep Warm’ will only maintain temperature during the 60 minute ‘Time Since Brew’ feature at the end of the ‘Tea’ or ‘Hot Water’ function.
|2.||Once the tea brewing or water heating cycle is complete, the LCD screen will automatically display the ‘Time Since Brew’ count-up.
The KEEP WARM button surround will remain illuminated, indicating the ‘Keep Warm’ cycle is active for up to 60 minutes during ‘Time Since Brew’ while the Glass Jug remains on the Power Base.
|3.||During this time, the Glass Jug can be removed from the Power Base, however the ‘Keep Warm’ feature will automatically switch off.
You can re-select the ‘Keep Warm’ feature by pressing the KEEP WARM button. The ‘Keep Warm’ cycle will remain active for the duration of the 60-minute ‘Time Since Brew’ feature.
NOTE: ‘Keep Warm’ feature will not activate and will not function if water temperature is below 120°F.
The ‘Basket Cycle’ Feature
This feature continuously auto lifts and lowers the Basket during the tea brewing cycle. This movement loosens the tea leaves within the Basket, allowing the heated water to circulate freely around the tea leaves for maximum infusion.
NOTE: The ‘Basket Cycle’ can significantly increase the rate of infusion and affect the tea strength. You may consider reducing the initial tea strength or brew time when using the ‘Basket Cycle’ feature.
NOTE: It is recommended that this feature is used only when making between 1000mL (approx. 4 cups/32 oz.) to 1200mL (approx. 5 cups/40 oz.)
|1.||To activate the ‘Basket Cycle’ feature, press the BASKET button once. The button surround will illuminate and the LCD screen will display BASKET CYCLE.|
|2.||During the brewing cycle, the BASKET button surround will flash while the Basket slowly lifts and lowers within the heated water.|
|3.||The ‘Basket Cycle’ feature can be canceled anytime during the tea brewing cycle. Press the BASKET button once. The button surround will cease to illuminate and the LCD screen will no longer display BASKET CYCLE. The Basket will return to the bottom of the Glass Jug for the remaining brewing time.|
There are four main types of teas from the tea plant Camellia sinensis. The picking and processing methods determine the type of tea finally produced.
- Black tea is the most common type of tea worldwide. It is made by fermenting the harvested leaves for a couple of hours before heating or drying. This oxidation darkens the leaves and increases the amount of caffeine. Of all the teas, black tea has the strongest color and flavor.
- White tea is the rarest and the most exclusive tea. White tea consists of the whitish buds of the tea plant which are steamed and then left to dry naturally. This tea is low in caffeine and has a slightly sweet flavor.
- Green tea makes up approximately ten percent of the world’s tea. The leaves are picked, rolled, and dried before they can go brown. Green tea has a distinctive aroma and a slight astringent taste.
- Oolong tea is semi-fermented, which means the leaves are processed immediately after picking. They only have a short period of oxidation, which turns the leaves from green to red/brown. Its leaves have a floral, fruity quality and hence the tea has a delicate fruity taste. Drinking oolong tea with milk, sugar, or lemon is not recommended.
- Herbal infusions or Tisanes are not produced from the tea plant, but from flowers, leaves, roots, or seeds. Common herbal beverages are chamomile, peppermint, fennel, rose hip, and lemon verbena. Herbal infusions that do not contain tea will generally not become bitter with extended brews. These can often be brewed with boiling water 3 times without jeopardizing the taste.
- Blends are made by combining different types of teas, often in order to achieve flavor consistency from one season to the next. Common black tea blends include English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, and Russian Caravan.
Tips for optimal tea brewing
- Water quality affects taste. For best results, use filtered water.
- Finer tea particles and leaves will infuse more quickly than whole leaves. As a result, finer tea particles often release too much tannin too quickly, creating a harsher taste. Adjust the brewing time until desired strength is achieved.
- Using the tea scoop provided, spoon roughly one scoop of tea per 1 cup/8 oz. of water.
|Glass Jug Marking||Approx. Cups/Ounces||Tea Scoops|
|500mL||2 cups/16 oz.||2 scoops|
|750mL||3 cups/24 oz.||3 scoops|
|1000mL||4 cups/32 oz.||4 scoops|
|1200mL||5 cups/40 oz.||5 scoops|
Teas stored inside a vacuum-sealed bag can be stored for up to two years, depending on the quality and grade of tea. Once opened, tea should be stored in an airtight container and kept in a dry and dark place. Once opened, black teas will last longer than green and oolong teas but all tea needs to be stored in ideal conditions. You can tell when tea is past its best if it has lost its aroma and will create either a bitter or dull tasting cup.
To avoid tea stains, we recommend that you never let brewed tea stand in the Tea Maker™ for extended periods, and always empty and rinse it after each use. However, if you already have a build-up of tannin, the BTM100 Revive Organic Tea Cleaner can help remove it. Boil 6 cups (1500mL) of water then allow to cool for 1 minute. Lower the tea basket into the water by pressing and holding the Basket button for two seconds, then empty in one pouch of Revive into the water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. Empty the jug and repeat the heating of water twice, to completely rinse out any remaining cleaning solution.
Please contact our support team for further assistance.