Know Your Grill
The Breville Smart Grill™ — Breville designers re-envisioned the craft of indoor grilling. Dishwasher safe plates embedded with smart heating elements inspire pitch-perfect results.
Top quality nonstick indoor grill with six height settings and integrated drip tray. Adjust the height to avoid crushing food or open it all the way up in 180° barbecue mode. Temperature responsive LCD display colorfully alerts when the grill is ready to go. Tilt the bottom plate to drain fats in the easy-to-handle drip tray.
|A. Stainless Steel Housing – with Die-Cast arms.||B. Cast Aluminum, Non-Stick Plates – coated with titanium infused Quantanium™ for oil-free cooking and easy clean up.|
|C. Removable, Dishwasher Safe Plates – flat plate for eggs and pancakes, ribbed plate for searing meats.||D. Bottom Plate Release – removes the bottom cooking plate.|
|E. Integrated, Removable Drip Tray – catches excess fat for healthier cooking.||F. 30 Minute Timer Dial with Sound Alert – pressing the center button of the dial activates a count-down timer.|
|G. Temperature Conversion Button – converts the default Fahrenheit to Celcius.||H. Temperature Responsive LCD – backlight illuminates blue (standby) or orange (heating/ready)|
|I. Temperature Dial (320°F – 450°F) – with LOW, PANINI (sandwich), and SEAR modes.||J. Cord Storage – located on the underside of the grill.|
|K. Adjustable Plate Tilt – Adjusts the angle of the bottom cooking plate to drain fats, or can be made flat for eggs and pancakes.||L. Locking Storage Clip – locks the plates closed for upright storage.|
|M. BBQ Lock Release – allows the plates to be opened completely flat, side by side, to provide a large BBQ grilling surface.||N. 6 Adjustable Height Settings – reduces the weight of the top plate on delicate foods or can be set high enough for open melts.|
|O. Leveling Support – Integrated into the top plate release, use to adjust the position of the floating top plate.||P. Top Plate Release – removes the top cooking plate.|
The Panini Press “Duo” comes with some special features.
- The adjustable height control allows the top plate to adjust, accommodating sandwiches of different thickness to be grilled. From the highest setting, allowing open faced sandwiches to be grilled, to the lowest setting for thinner, lighter sandwiches to be grilled.
- 1500 watts of power in the heating element allow for fast heat up and quick toasting.
- The floating top plate allows for height adjustment of the top plate, making for easy grilling of open face sandwiches and paninis.
|Power||1800 watt element.|
|Materials||Brushed stainless steel housing.
Cast aluminum non-stick plates.
|Key Features||Large plates accommodating two sandwiches.
Floating hinge top plate.
Ribbed top plate for aesthetic grill marks.
Flat bottom plate for faster, more even cooking and easy clean up.
Integrated On/Off ‘Power’ and ‘Ready’ lights.
Adjustable height control.
Locking storage clip.
|Dimensions||14″ x 16.7″ x 5″|
Setting up the Smart Grill™ is quick and easy.
- Place the grill on a flat dry surface, ensuring there is at least 8 inches of clearance spare on both sides of the grill.
- Unwind the power cord completely from the bottom of the grill.
- Ensure that both plates are inserted and securely locked into position.
Before First Use
- Remove and safely discard any packaging material and promotional labels.
- Wipe the cooking plates and drip tray with a soft damp sponge. Dry thoroughly.
- Wipe the outer housing with a soft damp cloth. Dry thoroughly.
All Breville® products have at least a one-year limited product warranty, valid from the date of purchase. Should your Breville® product have a defect in product material or workmanship within the Warranty period, Breville® will arrange to have your original product returned to us, and either deliver an identical or comparable replacement to you, free of charge, or apply such other remedy as described below. Some models may have longer warranty periods on the product or specific components so please consult the individual product warranty for complete terms and conditions.
DO NOT RETURN PRODUCT TO THE STORE*
Please follow these instructions, subject to the terms of the Warranty, to receive faster service:
- Write down the product model number, batch code (this is a 3 or 4 digit number) and/or serial number. These can be found on a sticker or molded into the product housing and are typically located underneath or on the back of the product
- Have the original or a copy of the sales receipt.
- Contact Breville®. Please see Breville® USA contact information below.
- If the product, or one of its parts, qualifies for replacement or service under the Warranty, Breville® will send a pre-paid shipping label via email so that the product may be sent to Breville® at no cost to you. Upon receipt of the product, Breville® may ship the replacement or contact you with further information regarding repair of the product. Typical turnaround time to address Warranty claims is up to 10 business days, plus shipping, depending on your geographical location and type of damage or Warranty claim.
- For additional protection of the product and and to ensure secure handling while a product is being returned for any Warranty repair, Breville® recommends that you use Breville’s shipping label or a traceable, insured delivery service. Breville® is not responsible for any damage while a product is in transit.
For the complete terms of warranty, see the warranty PDF:
One-Year Limited Product Warranty.pdf
* California residents – please see paragraph entitled “Warranty Notice to California Residents Only” on page 4.
Breville® USA Contact Information
8am to 5pm (Pacific Time) Monday through Friday, excluding holidays
Head Office Address:
19400 S. Western Ave
Torrance, CA 90501
(Please do not return product to this address without speaking to Breville® and obtaining a Return Authority number.)
Care and Use
- If the cooking plates are incorrectly inserted, the LCD screen will display INSERT PLATE. Use the 2 PLATE RELEASE buttons to remove the plates then re-insert so they securely lock into position.
- If you have changed the default Fahrenheit temperature reading to show Celsius, the setting will remain in the memory of the grill until the Temperature Conversion Button is pressed again, or the grill is unplugged from the wall outlet. When unplugged, the grill will revert to the default Fahrenheit temperature display.
- The LCD screen may display HEATING during the cooking process. This is normal, indicating that the correct temperature is being maintained.
- Do not use spray-on, non-stick coatings as these will affect the performance of the non-stick cooking plates.
- The count-down timer can be stopped or paused at any time by pressing the button within the Timer Dial a second time. The LCD screen will no longer display the count-down indicator, however, the grill will not turn off.
- The cooking and heating cycle can be stopped at any time by turning the Temperature Dial to the OFF position. The LCD screen will display OFF, the default ’0′ time, and will cease to illuminate after 3 minutes.
- The grill features a 1 hour Auto Shut-Off feature. This ensures that the grill is not accidentally left on for an extended period of time. If the temperature or timer dials are not adjusted within 1 hour, the Auto Shut-Off feature will automatically stop heating the cooking plates.
- Never use metal or sharp utensils as these can cause damage to the non-stick coating of the cooking plates.
- Never use the leveling support to open the top cooking plate. Always use the handle to open and close the top cooking plate.
- Your Breville Smart Grill ™is a quality appliance. The best materials were used in making it, and it was carefully engineered to let you enjoy grilled meats, vegetables, and sandwiches for years to come. However, as with any machine, it needs your care in order to operate as it is intended to.
Always clean the outer body, Drip Tray, and Cooking Plates after each use to prevent a buildup of ingredients.
NOTE: Do not use abrasive cleansers or metal scouring pads on any of the interior or exterior surfaces of the grill. These will scratch the surfaces and damage the nonstick coating on the Cooking Plates.
CAUTION: DO NOT IMMERSE THE BODY, POWER CORD OR POWER PLUG IN WATER OR ANY OTHER LIQUID AS THIS MAY CAUSE ELECTROCUTION.
Cleaning the outer body
Wipe the outer body with a soft, damp sponge. A non-abrasive liquid cleanser or mild spray solution may be used to avoid buildup of stains. Apply the cleanser to the sponge, not the grill surface, before cleaning. Rinse. Let all surfaces dry thoroughly prior to inserting the power plug into a wall outlet.
Cleaning the Drip Tray
After each use, slide out the Drip Tray and discard contents. Wash the Drip Tray in warm soapy water with a soft, damp sponge. A non-abrasive liquid cleanser may be used to avoid buildup of stains. Apply the cleanser to the sponge, not the tray, before cleaning. Rinse and dry thoroughly. Always reinsert the Drip Tray into the grill after cleaning and prior to inserting the power plug into a wall outlet.
CAUTION: EXTREME CAUTION MUST BE USED WHEN HANDLING THE DRIP TRAY CONTAINING HOT FATS AND JUICES.
Cleaning the Cooking Plates
Release and remove the Cooking Plates. Always ensure the grill is completely cool. Wash the Cooking Plates in hot soapy water with a soft, damp sponge. A non-abrasive liquid cleanser may be used to avoid buildup of stains. Apply the cleanser to the sponge, not the plate, before cleaning. Remove stubborn residue with a non-abrasive plastic scouring pad or nylon washing brush.
NOTE: The underside of the Cooking Plate may discolor over time and can form a layer of corrosion. This is normal. Any discoloration that may occur to either side of the Cooking Plate will only detract from the appearance of the plate and will not affect the cooking performance. To remove discoloration or corrosion, use a non-abrasive plastic scouring pad or nylon washing brush. Rinse and dry thoroughly. NOTE: Ensure the round pad on the underside of the plate is clean.
|The USDA recommended Internal Temperatures are as follows:|
|● Medium||– 150°F|
|● Medium Well||– 160°F|
|● Well Done||– 170°F|
- Rare – Cook for a few minute per side, depending on thickness. Turn once only. Cook until steak feels very soft with the back of a set of tongs. A meat thermometer will show internal temperature of a rare steak as 130 – 140°F (55 – 60°C).
- Medium Rare – Cook on one side until moisture is just visible on the top surface. Turn once only. Cook on the other side until surface moisture is visible. Steak will be cooked to medium rare when it feels soft with the back of tongs. A meat thermometer will show the internal temperature of a medium rare steak as 140 – 150°F (60- 65°C)
- Medium – Cook on one side until moisture is pooling on the top surface. Turn once only. Cook on second side until moisture is visible. Steak will be cooked to medium when it feels springy with the back of a set of tongs. A meat thermometer will show the internal temperature of a medium steak as 150 – 160°F (65 – 70°C)
- Medium Well – Cook on one side until moisture is pooling on the top surface. Turn and cook on the second side until moisture is pooling on top. Reduce the heat slightly and continue to cook until the steak feels firm with the back of a set of tongs. A meat thermometer will show the internal temperature of a medium well steak as 160 – 170°F (70 – 75°C).
- Well Done – Cook on one side until moisture is pooling on the top surface. Turn and cook on the second side until moisture is pooling on top. Reduce the heat slightly and continue to cook until the steak feels very firm with the back of a set of tongs. A meat thermometer will show the internal temperature of a well done steak as 170°F (75°C)
The cooking times below are approximate and may need to be changed depending on variation in ingredient thickness and on your personal taste.
NOTE: These times relate to the contact grill mode.
|Ingredient||Type||Approx. Cooking Time|
|Beef||Sirloin steak||3 minutes for medium rare
5-6 minutes for well done
|Minute steak||1-2 minutes|
|Hamburger patties||4-6 minutes|
|Pork||Scotch fillet||4-6 minutes|
|Loin steaks||4-6 minutes|
|Leg steaks||4 minutes|
|Chicken||Breast fillets||6 minutes or until cooked through|
|Thigh fillets||4-5 minutes or until cooked through|
|Panini Sandwich or Focaccia||5-8 minutes or until golden brown|
|Vegetables sliced 1/4″ thick||Eggplant||3-5 minutes|
|Sweet potato||3-5 minutes|
|Seafood||Fish fillets||2-4 minutes|
|Fish cutlets||3-5 minutes|
|Octopus (cleaned)||3 minutes|
Though the element on the Smart Grill™ is designed to ensure that the grill plate is as evenly heated as possible, cool spots will be noticed. Particularly the front right corner on the top plate and the back left corner on the bottom plate. These are where the connections for the grill plates reside, including the locks and sensors. As such that area is more for components and needs to stay a bit cooler just to make sure everything remains in working order. While grilling, those two sections may seem noticeably cooler. If the grill is being used closed, the opposing side of the plate should make up for much of that coolness, meaning if the front right corner on the top plate is cooler, the front right corner on the bottom plate will not be cool. To make sure that these cool spots do not affect the food being grilled, move the food around the plate just a bit.