Know Your Juicer
The the Juice Fountain® Duo — Juice and purée in one machine. This commercial-quality juicer has a second disc that purées soft fruits for 100% fruit smoothies. Gets the most juice out of a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, from delicate berries to crisp apples.
|A. Juicer Cover||B. Large Pulp Container with integrated handle (dishwasher safe)|
|C. High performance 1200 watt motor||D. Five speed electronic control|
|E.Start/Stop button||F. Cord Storage|
|G. Food Pusher (NOT dishwasher safe)||H. Extra wide Food Chute|
|I. Safety Locking Arm||J. Nutri Disc™|
|K. Stainless Steel Filter Bowl Surround||L. Dishwasher safe 1.2 liter Juice Jug|
|M. Purée Disc and Insert||N.(Not Shown) Overload Protection Button|
- Purée Disc and Insert – Your Juice Fountain® Duo comes with a Purée Disc and Purée Insert that allows you to process softer fruit and vegetables. The softer the produce, the more difficult it is for the standard Nutri Disc™ to process. It relies on the friction of the more stiffly structured food pressing against the blades in order to process them. The Purée Disc allows softer fruits and vegetables to be juiced, ones that would normally not stand up to the required friction of the Nutri Discs™.
- Self-Reset Overheating Protection – the Juice Fountain® Duo is fitted with a self-resetting safety device which safeguards against overheating on the motor with excessive loads. If overheating occurs, the juicer will automatically activate the overheating protection and the motor will turn itself off while the light surrounding the Start/Stop button will flash red. Simply unplug the juicer for 15 minutes to allow it to cool down, plug the juicer back in, and resume juicing.
- Electronic Protection – The juicer will automatically stop operating if the motor stalls. This is a safety feature and can mean one of two things: either too much food is being processed at one time, or the pieces are not small enough. Try trimming the food, cutting it into smaller even pieces and/or processing a smaller amount per batch. If the motor does stall and the electronic protection is engaged, you will see the light surrounding the Start/Stop button flashing red. To continue juicing, turn the power OFF at the control panel, clear the feed chute, then turn the juicer back on.
- Overload Protection Button – The juicer has another safety feature, the Overload Protection. If you are putting a large amount of produce through the juicer, if the load is too large or too heavy, the overload protection will engage. This prevents the food from over stressing the motor. If this occurs, the juicer will turn off, but, unlike the Overheating Protection, the light surrounding the Start/Stop button will not be flashing. If the Overload Protection engages, unplug the juicer and allow the unit to cool down, removing the food from the chute as well, cutting it into smaller, more even pieces. After about 15 minutes, press the Overload Protection Button found on the bottom of the Motor Base, plug the unit in again, and commence juicing.
- First, Place the Filter Bowl Surround on top of the Motor Base
- Place your processing item into the Filter Bowl Surround. If you are using the Nutri Disc™, align the arrows on the disc with the arrows on the Motor Drive Coupling and push down until it clicks into place. If you are using the Purée Disc, press the disc down in the center until it clicks into place. Once the Purée Disc is in place , place the Purée Insert into the Filter Bowl Surround, over the Purée Disc, making sure that the warning label on the handle is facing upwards.
- Place the Juicer Cover Over the Filter Bowl Surround, lowering it firmly into place.
- Raise the Safety Locking Arm up and lock it into the two grooves on either side of the Juicer Cover.
- Slide the Food Pusher down the feed chute by aligning the groove in the food pusher with the small protrusion on the inside of the top of the feed chute.
- If juicing, place the Pulp Container into position. If you are using the Purée Disc, please note that with the softness of the fruit, there will be nothing that should expel into the Pulp Container, it will all be processed.
- Place the Juice Jug under the spout on the right hand side of the juicer
Before First Use
Before your first use of the Juice Processor, remove and safely discard all packaging material and promotional labels.
Wash the Filter Bowl Surround, Juice Disc, Purée Disc, Purée Insert, Juicer Cover, Food Pusher, Juice Jug, Juice Jug Lid, and Pulp Container in warm soapy water with a soft cloth or nylon brush. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
It is important to note that both the Food Pusher and the Purée Insert are NOT dishwasher safe. The Juice Cover, Filter Bowl Surround, Pulp Container, Purée Disc, Nutri Disc™, and Juice Jug are dishwasher safe but for the top shelf ONLY.
All Breville® products have at least a one-year limited product warranty, valid from the date of purchase. Should your Breville® product have a defect in product material or workmanship within the Warranty period, Breville® will arrange to have your original product returned to us, and either deliver an identical or comparable replacement to you, free of charge, or apply such other remedy as described below. Some models may have longer warranty periods on the product or specific components so please consult the individual product warranty for complete terms and conditions.
DO NOT RETURN PRODUCT TO THE STORE*
Please follow these instructions, subject to the terms of the Warranty, to receive faster service:
1. Write down the product model number, batch code (this is a 3 or 4 digit number) and/or serial number. These can be found on a sticker or molded into the product housing and are typically located underneath or on the back of the product
2. Have the original or a copy of the sales receipt.
3. Contact Breville®. Please see Breville® USA contact information below.
4. If the product, or one of its parts, qualifies for replacement or service under the Warranty, Breville® will send a pre-paid shipping label via email so that the product may be sent to Breville® at no cost to you. Upon receipt of the product, Breville® may ship the replacement or contact you with further information regarding repair of the product. Typical turnaround time to address Warranty claims is up to 10 business days, plus shipping, depending on your geographical location and type of damage or Warranty claim.
5. For additional protection of the product and and to ensure secure handling while a product is being returned for any Warranty repair, Breville® recommends that you use Breville’s shipping label or a traceable, insured delivery service. Breville® is not responsible for any damage while a product is in transit.
For the complete terms of warranty, see the warranty PDF:
* California residents – please see paragraph entitled “Warranty Notice to California Residents Only” on page 4.
Care and Use
- To minimize cleaning, line the pulp container with a produce bag to collect the pulp or use the BJE030. Pulp can be used in other dishes, as compost for the garden, or simply discarded.
- Never use the Purée Disc without the Purée Insert, they must always be used together.
- When using the Purée Disc and Inert, only use Speed 1.
- If Juicing, fruits with hard or inedible skins such as mangoes, guava, melons or pineapple, always peel before juicing. Citrus fruit can be juiced as well after being peeled first. All fruits with pits, hard seeds or stones, such as nectarines, peaches, mangoes, apricots, plums and cherries must be pitted before juicing
- If using the Purée Disc, follow the same guidelines for peeling as you would for Juicing. However, for fruits with a hard core, such as pineapple, always remove this before Puréeing.
- When using the pulp, there may be some pieces of fruit of vegetables remaining. These should be removed before using the pulp in any recipes.
- If you are juicing herbs, sprouts or leafy green vegetables, either wrap them together to form a bundle or juice them in the middle of a combination of ingredients on low speed to obtain the best extraction.
- After disassembling the juicer, all removable parts may be washed in hot soapy water, then rinsed well and dried.
- Alternatively, the Juice Cover, Filter Bowl Surround, Pulp Container, Purée Disc, Purée Insert, Nutri Disc™ and Juice Jug are all dishwasher safe for the Top Shelf Only.
- Wipe the motor base with a damp cloth
- Discoloration of the plastic may occur with brightly colored fruit and vegetables. To help prevent this, wash parts immediately after use.
- To assist with cleaning, soak the Nutri Disc™ in hot soapy water for approximately 10 minutes immediately after juicing is completed. If pulp is left to dry on the filter, it may clog the fine pores of the mesh filter and lessen the effectiveness of the juicer. Once the 10 minutes are up, scrub the mesh filter gently but firmly with the nylon cleaning brush provided, holding the Nutri Disc™ upside down and brushing from the inside out.
|2||Apricots (stone removed)|
|5||Beets (cleaned, trimmed)|
|5||Brussels sprouts (trimmed)|
|4||Cucumber, soft skinned|
|2||Kiwi fruit (peeled)|
|2||Mangoes (peeled, stone removed)|
|2||Nectarines (stone removed)|
|2||Peaches (stone removed)|
|5||Pears hard (stalks removed)|
|2||Pears soft (stalks removed)|
|2||Plums (stone removed)|
|1||Apricots (stone removed)|
|1||Kiwi fruit (peeled)|
|1||Mangoes (peeled, stone removed)|
|1||Peaches (stone removed)|
|1||Pears soft (stalks removed)|
|1||Pineapple (peeled and cored)|
|1||Strawberries (stalks removed)|
|1||Watermelon (peeled, seeds removed)|
While the juicer pulp should be dry, it’s not really going to come out of the machine like saw dust. There will always be a slight dampness to it but squeezing the pulp should not produce copious amounts of liquid after processing and the pulp should be spun out of the Nutri Disc™ and into the pulp container efficiently.
- If the pulp is overly wet and less juice is being extracted then expected, the first thing to do is make sure that the juicer speed is not too high, try a lower speed setting. If the speed is a bit much for the food being juices, the liquid may not have time to move through the filter and instead my cling to the pulp and move out along with it.
- The next thing to check is the filter basket, is the mesh clogged or are there food fibers coating the blades. These can hinder the correct processing of the foods and cause the juice to, again, move out of the machine with the pulp, making it wetter then normal.
- If the pulp is clogging up inside the juicer top cover, it may be that the speed is too high to move the pulp out of the pulp chute and into the pulp container, and, instead, the Nutri Disc™ is releasing the pulp so that it is hitting the upper part of the top cover. Turn off the juicer and remove the top cover, clear out the pulp that is collected in the top cover and replace it back on the juicer. Restart juicing, using a lower speed.
- Push the food pusher down the chute at a slower pace, letting the blades process the food a bit slower
The filter basket, or Nutri Disc™, is vitally important to the operation of the Juice Fountain® Plus Upgrade as well as all of Breville’s centrifugal juicers. It houses the blades and the filtering mesh that keeps the pulp from the juice. The mesh of the filter basket, or Nutri Disc™, becoming clogged can cause a large variety of issues that may seemingly be unrelated. Leaking from most places around the filter bowl surround rim and the juicer cover rim; overly wet pulp; reduced juice amounts from extractions; larger then normal chunks of food appearing in the pulp or bouncing around the interior of the filter basket. There may be different things that could cause all of those but there is one thing that can cause them all: a clogged Nutri Disc™.
- Some fruits and vegetables can be very fibrous. Not meaning that they are high in dietary fiber but that the actual flesh is laid out into longer, fibrous sections. Celery is a prime example of this as well as ginger, coconuts, and pineapple. The flesh of these food items will leave long string like fibers on the blade of the Nutri Disc™ and on the mesh, effectively blocking the sharp edges and plugging the mesh holes. When juice can not flow between the mesh, it works it’s way up the Nutri Disc™ sides due to the turning force of the juicer. Once at the top of the Nutri Disc™ sides, it sprays a bit out at the juicer cover and filter bowl surround and with how fast the juicer is spinning it and how quickly this can be pressed against the blades, a lot of juice can be sprayed, causing a leak between the seams of these two parts.
- If the fruits and vegetables are very fibrous, those fibers can effectively ‘wrap’ around the blades of the Nutri Disc™. This means that, while they can still slice through the food, they are dulled and will not do so easily or efficiently and end up with a more ‘grind’ like motion instead of slicing/grating that should be happening. Generally the speed that the Nutri Disc™ is turning will allow the food to be juiced up until the last 1/2 inch nub or so. If the blade is clogged the sharp edges can not continue grabbing at the food to keep it juicing even after it looses contact with the bottom of the food pusher, making that un-juiced nub much larger then previously seen.
- The juice of the food being processed should flow easily through the mesh, into the juice collector. The pulp is separated out and sent to the pulp container. If the mesh is clogged, the juice will not flow through easily and will be moved with the pulp causing it to be wetter then normal. The amount of juice that ends up in the juice collector will be less then normal due to it being diverted into the pulp container.
It’s always best to clean the Nutri Disc™ thoroughly after each use. If very fibrous food is being juiced, especially items like celery and ginger, alternating between harder and softer foods can assist in cleaning some of that pulp from the mesh and blades, however this will only marginally improve the results. The best and most through way to unclog the Nutri Disc™ is to stop the juicing after those items are processed, thoroughly clean both the the Nutri Disc™ mesh and blades, reinsert the Nutri Disc™ into the machine and commence juicing again.